Clausen House – Oakland, CA
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Supported Living Services:
- Training & Habilitation
- 24 Hour Emergency Assistance
- Assistive Technology and Adaptive Equipment
- Support Services to Aid in Participation in Community Activities
Independent Living Services & Supported Living Services:
- Assist consumers with managing their finances (bills, banking, budgeting, and account reconciliation) with high accountability and handling all business affairs in a timely manner.
- Ensure consumers’ medical needs are met by assisting with scheduling, transporting, and serving as a liaison between consumers and outside health care professionals (doctors, therapists, etc.) through follow-up and advocacy.
- Assist consumers in obtaining access to community resources, public agencies, and other generic services in order to achieve objectives detailed on the Individual Service Plan (ISP).
- Provide assistance and support to consumers with obtaining housing and roommate needs and assist in the maintenance of housing and living arrangements that reflect consumers’ choices and preferences.
- Provide assistance to consumers in the selection and supervision of In-Home Support Services (IHSS) workers, and relief workers.
- Provide training and support to consumers in natural environments to make progress toward and/or achieve objectives detailed in the ISP.
- Keep records of training and support provided to consumers, using techniques and materials approved by CHSL. Assist with maintaining all such records, organized, in consumer’s files.
- Provide assistance necessary to facilitate consumers’ full participation in the life of their community. Encourage the development and foster the growth of circles of support.
- In conjunction with the Director and Service Coordinator, participate in the training, support and supervision of other staff members as requested.
- Write Quarterly/Semi-Annual Reports based on consumers’ ISP’s as required. Attend meetings with the consumer, Client Program Coordinator (CPC, aka; Case Manager), supervisor, CMT members, and other interested parties, as requested. Demonstrate competency in writing clear/concise progress reports and in assessing consumer needs.
- Act as a liaison between consumers and the individuals and organizations with which they deal, when requested and if appropriate.
- Participate in ongoing staff training, as requested by Director and/or Service Coordinator.
- Carry a pager and serve as an on-call person periodically, according to a schedule agreed upon with the Director and/or Service Coordinator. Provide staff coverage when necessary by acting as a substitute in the absence of other direct/personal care support.
- Complete and submit to the Coordinator monthly service records, documenting hours directly spend with consumers (indicating the service category to which said time should be billed) as well as other direct and indirect services rendered on a consumer’s behalf.
A.A in education, psychology, sociology, or related field, and a minimum of two years experience in a human services related field, preferably working with people with developmental disabilities and/or special needs; or high school diploma plus three years experience in a human services – related field, preferably working with people with developmental disabilities and/or special needs.
- Skill in working with and providing training and support to developmentally disabled adults.
- Ability to perform the functions described in the Independent & Supported Living Services Design.
- A willingness to pursue training and certification deemed necessary based on the needs of supported living consumers and the philosophy and values of supported living.
- The ability to demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills in order to perform the tasks outlined in the Clausen House ILS/SLS service design.
- A willingness to undergo a criminal records clearance process that involves fingerprinting a filing of fingerprints with local enforcement agencies and the FBI.
- Possession of a working automobile, a valid California driver’s license, liability insurance, a clean driving record, and a willingness to drive own car for work-related purposes.
- An ability to work harmoniously with other staff members.
- An ability to act as a role model for Independent and Supported Living consumers.
- Endurance – Moving About: Frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time) Move from location to location, up to .5 miles or more at a time. Ability to drive walk for at least one hour; lift at least ten pounds; to assist adults in activities of daily living who are non-ambulatory.
- Specific Examples Include, but are not limited to: Moves about the facility site to monitor the consumers and inspect the facility/ Moves between the residential facility and other locations where applicable to accompany consumers with their daily chores/activities.
- Endurance-Overall Strength: Some sedentary work. Bending, lifting, and squatting, with objects weighing up to 40 lbs. Must be able to handle consumers with physical impairment problems. Exerts force and or lifts or carries objects weighing up to 40 pounds occasionally.
- Climbing: Periodic – Does not occur every shift, ascend and descend stairs to make rounds of the building. Driveway incline is an uneven surface frequently used to access required work areas.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 per hour
About Clausen House:
Founded in 1967, Clausen House is a registered charitable 501(c)(3) institution that provides housing, wellness programs, and advocacy for developmentally disabled adults in Oakland and the surrounding East Bay area. Our clients are adults challenged by autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, and other intellectually and developmentally disabling conditions.
We currently support 200 adults with developmental disabilities, and indirect support to their families in Oakland and throughout Alameda County. We deliver a life-enhancing array of services that enables our clients to live, work, socialize, and thrive to their fullest potential. Our dedicated staff of over 60 professionals delivers services that include housing, independent and supported living, supported employment, adult education, and social recreation.
How to Apply
Clausen House has basic requirements for hiring employees Use this form for initial screening. We will contact you after the initial screening is done.