Clausen House wishes that we become a resource for anyone who seeks information about the population of adults we work with. Below you will find links to various sites that will provide more information for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

If you have any questions, please contact Executive Director, Jaynette Underhill, or at (510) 839-0050 ext. 901

Government Resources

  • is the U.S. federal government website for information on disability programs and services nationwide. The site connects people with disabilities, their families and caregivers to helpful resources on topics such as how to apply for disability benefits, find a job, get health care or pay for accessible housing, or find organizations in the community

  • Social Security Disability Benefits

    Social Security pays disability benefits to people who can’t work because they have a medical condition that’s expected to last at least one year or result in death. Find out if you qualify and how Social Security can help you.

  • Federal ADA and Disability Resources

    Includes Agencies with ADA Responsibilities, Federal ADA and Disability Resources, and more.

  • Programs for People with Disabilities

    Multiple HHS agencies provide programs that improve the well-being of people with disabilities. Learn more about programs for people with disabilities and locate resources:

  • Resources for People with Disabilities hosted a Facebook Question and Answer (Q&A) session for citizens with questions about disability benefits. During the session, worked with experts from the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA), the Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP), and the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) to help hundreds of people get their questions about disability assistance answered. If you missed the event, but are interested in learning more, is highlighting five common questions and resources from the event below.

  • Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)

    Home and community based services (HCBS) provide opportunities for Medicaid beneficiaries to receive services in their own home or community rather than institutions or other isolated settings. These programs serve a variety of targeted populations groups, such as people with intellectual or developmental disabilities, physical disabilities, and/or mental illnesses.

Other Resources

  • Disability Scoop

    Disability Scoop is a nationwide news organization devoted to covering developmental disabilities. Founded in 2008, Disability Scoop provides daily coverage of issues concerning the developmental disabilities community.

  • ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience) Act

    Passed by Congress in December 2014, the Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act enables the creation of special savings accounts by individuals with disabilities or their families called Section 529A accounts. The ABLE accounts will allow individuals with disabilities to open special accounts where they can save up to $100,000 without risking losing their eligibility for Social Security or Medicaid.  Funds accrued in these accounts can be used to pay for education, health care, transportation, housing and other expenses.  Under current gift-tax limitations, as much as $14,000 may be contributed annually to the account.  Interest earned on savings will be tax-free.

  • A Video About Clausen House Programs

    For our 41th anniversary, a video was put together explaining our Independent Living, Supported Living and Supported Employment programs from the perspective of our staff and some of our clients. Clausen House continues to offer these programs and has expanded our services to include Housing Search and Assistance, Vocational Training, Behavioral Health Services, Benefits Planning (SSI/SSDI) and Domestic Violence and Abuse Prevention.

  • What is IDD?

    Learn more about IDD: A developmental disability is a severe long-term problem that may be physical or affect mental ability. Developmental disabilities are attributable to intellectual disability (formerly known as mental retardation), cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, or disabling conditions found to be closely related to intellectual disability. In order to be considered a developmental disability, the disability must originate before eighteen years of age, be likely to continue indefinitely, and constitute a substantial disability for the individual.

These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Clausen House of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Clausen House bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.